In 1981, Jan Carlzon started the massive turnaround of the highly centralized SAS (Scandinavian Air Systems) from a organisational systems approach to a customer centered experience approach.
He was famous for using the Moments of Truth process, originally developed by Scandinavian managment Guru Richard Norman.
Here are some of his famous quotes:
- “We have 50,000 moments of truth every day.” – said at the start of the First Wave seminars to turn SAS around in 1982 and referring to every time an employee of the company came into contact with a customer.
- “An individual without information can’t take responsibility. An individual with information can’t help but take responsibility.”
- “I learned that, before you reach an objective, you must be ready with a new one, and you must start to communicate it to the organization. But it is not the goal itself that is important.”
- “Mistakes can usually be corrected later; the time that is lost in not making a decision can never be retrieved”.
- “… the right to make mistakes is not equivalent to the right to be incompetent, especially not as a manager.”
The moments of truth process is all about mapping the customer “Touch” points in your business and taking charge of creating a positive customer experience in each one of those moments, with as few positive Moments of Truth as possible.
The whole aim of this process is to keep your customers excited and delighted as well as motivating them to keep coming back for more.
Does your business need to map out your customer’s moments of truth? email us to find out how we can help you do this.